Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Worst Advice You'll Ever Get

By "you", I mean "aspiring writers".

Here's an article written by Charles Hugh Smith in 2005 and, if you're trying to break into The Other Business (the original Business being film-making, of course), like I am, it's worth a read.

http://www.oftwominds.com/worst-advice.html

Mr. Smith may appear cynical at first, but the advice is genuinely valuable-- his title being a clear-cut mislabel.

The challenge he describes is certainly daunting. In his article he writes, "If you can do anything else [besides writing], do it." Well, I suppose I can do other things-- I just don't do them one tenth as well.

I can't speak for you, imaginary person floating around in my eyeball jelly. But I want to be a published writer.
I am a writer; I want to be a published writer.

I have to be a writer. It's beyond my decision or ability to defy. Making money doing what I have to do in life... now, that's a horse of a different color.

0 comments:

Post a Comment